Tuesday, April 4, 2023

a parasol for Sherry



Sherry Herschend's trip to Israel 2023


Sherry has asked me for a parasol before and I think we both were surprised how long ago it was. She was eagerly looking forward to this trip and was very excited to use this as an education tool for her group, a good visual for them to see in a crowd as well as shade. Because of all of this, it is much fuller than the one I did before. This is the image of the entire Parasol. I think it is colorful and visually exciting.


 

Sabra Cactus- otherwise known as a prickly pear. I think this one is rather successful that shows the growth pattern, the fruit and the flower. 


She wanted a biblical oil lamp. It reminds me always of the verse, "You are the light of the world".

Pomegranate and I am pleased with the slight color difference between the rind and the fruit.


Nazareth Village which is a park that shows how people lived, worked and ate during Jesus' times. This is Sherry's park. Here is a situation where I feel the limitations of the colors I have to work with. Trying to get subtle rock and greenery colors is almost impossible. 

Garden Tomb which is an example of how a tomb looks in ancient Israel. It is surrounded by a quiet garden where people can meditate on the story of the Tomb stone rolling away and the tomb being empty. Again, a situation where I feel limited in the colors I have to depict the subtle changes of rock.

Cyclamens a beautiful flower Sherry took notice of on her travels there. I don't think there's any spiritual meaning. 


Dome on the Rock of course has a diverse history at this point. The site of historic Temple for the Jews, also a significant religious site for the Islamic Faith. Again, challenged in getting shades of greens, how the light plays on the blues of the building. I was happy I had a brilliant gold pen I could use for the dome. 

  I don't know that I've ever been as tempted to visit as I was working on this piece. I'm excited for all those who were invited to travel with Sherry and I look forward to seeing their impressions of that part of the world. Safe travels to them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment